Clean Out Your Clutter and Make Extra Cash with a Garage Sale
As warm weather arrives, it’s a great time to simplify and declutter your home. But don’t just toss your unused items; consider holding a garage sale. It sounds like a lot of work, but with a few good strategies and some organization, you can end up with a nice chunk of change in just a few days.
Here are a few ways you can make the most out of your garage sale:
- Spread the word. First, check with your municipality about permitting needs and sign guidelines. Place brightly colored signs in your neighborhood in high traffic areas. Make sure they are big enough to read and include arrows, the address and even a phone number if your location is hard to find. List your sale in the local newspaper or online at Craigslist.org. Advertise approximately five to six days prior to your sale date.
- Price things right. Customers are expecting to find a deal. Make sure you haven’t priced your items too high, even though they may hold sentimental value. Offer discounts for multiple items, such as three similar pieces for $10, or offer a bundles on furniture that goes together. Your customers get a bargain, and you move items faster.
- Merchandise your items. Move furniture and larger items to the driveway or yard. It looks more inviting and people will be able to see items clearly from the street. Group similar items together and sort clothes by size or type. Clean up anything that is dusty or dirty. Bugs at the bottom of boxes or cobwebs on items are not appealing to people. Display small items on a table and hang up clothing if possible. Don’t forget to check all pockets, bags and boxes for money and things you may not have removed.
- Keep it simple. Clearly price your items with tags or stickers. Price everything in quarter or 50 cent increments to make transactions easier. Have plenty of change ready. Start with at least one roll of quarters, at least $25 in one-dollar bills, and several $5, $10 and $20 bills.
- Tidy up. Make sure your yard and home are neat in appearance. Mow the lawn and weed the flower beds. Make sure your home looks inviting and appealing to help draw people in.
Apply these tips and you can clean up and make some extra cash! Don’t forget to donate anything that doesn’t sell to a charitable organization for a good cause.