Put the Freeze on Rising Winter Heating Costs
Heating bills are a big concern this winter, as temperatures drop and natural gas prices remain high. Smartmoney.com offers a few ideas to reduce your heating costs this winter.
- Get an annual tune-up on your heating system. Continue regular maintenance throughout the year.
- Consider buying a programmable thermostat. Set it for a lower temperature while you’re at work or school, and program it to warm the house up before you get home.
- Plug all leaks. Check doors, windows, electrical outlets and ceiling fixtures. Caulk and weather stripping are inexpensive solutions to this problem.
- Add insulation, especially in the basement and attic.
- Ask for a deal. Some utility companies offer discounts to senior citizens and those with low incomes.
- Consider taking advantage of an average payment plan or other plans your utility company may offer.